In February 2024, Prince Harry “lost” in court. The case was about Ravec, the committee which determines which royals get security within the UK, and how Ravec and the royal protection unit basically refuses to give Harry high-level security on demand whenever he visits the UK. Something most outlets refuse to note is that Harry actually is getting police protection when he’s in the UK, it’s just that he has to apply for it on a case-by-case basis, usually months in advance. Meaning, Harry can’t come and go as he pleases with a half-private security and half-police security on little notice. Ravec, the Met Police and the Windsors all must be informed of Harry’s travel itinerary well in advance, which is a security issue in and of itself, because that sh-t often gets leaked. It often gives the Windsors lead-time to arrange their little “we’re snubbing Harry” events too. Well, in Feb. 2024, the High Court judge said Ravec was well within their rights to make that case-by-case arrangement and that none of it was “procedurally unfair.” Harry appealed, and now his appeal will get a public hearing next week.
The Duke of Sussex’s demand for taxpayer-funded police security when he visits the UK will be heard at the Court of Appeal next week. Harry already faces a £1 million legal bill after a judge dismissed his claim in February last year that the Home Office was wrong to deny him and the Duchess of Sussex automatic police protection when they visit Britain.
He took legal action over a Home Office decision to reduce his security provision when he stepped down from official royal duties. Sir Geoffrey Vos, sitting with two other senior judges, will hear the duke’s appeal on April 8 and 9.
The judges ruled on Wednesday that some “highly confidential” evidence would be heard in secret as it “relates to security arrangements and threat levels and assessments for [Harry] and other public figures”. They said: “It is obvious that such material would be of interest to anyone wishing to harm a person.”
Harry’s legal team has argued that the duke should not be treated differently to any other VIP who would receive specialist police protection and argued that any attack on Harry would also damage the nation’s reputation.
Mr Justice Lane dismissed the duke’s application for a judicial review of the decision, criticising his “inappropriate, formalist interpretation” of the process of the Royal and VIP Executive Committee (Ravec), which rules on security issues.
I said last year that I felt like Harry had taken this as far as he could, and that he used this case as a Trojan horse for his own little fact-finding mission about royal protection, his mother’s protection and who was responsible for placing his wife and children in so much danger. I still sort of feel that way, but Harry is still going to pursue this to the bitter end. But, you know what’s changed since then? Invictus announced that the 2027 Invictus Games will be held in Birmingham, England. I’m sure that will be brought up in the hearing too – how can the founder of the Invictus Games come to Birmingham with this asinine security situation?
Photos courtesy of Cover Images.
- Prince Harry attending the wheelchair basketball bronze medal final at the Vancouver Convention Centre during the 2025 Invictus Games Featuring: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex Where: Vancouver, Canada When: 13 Feb 2025 Credit: PA Images/INSTARimages **NORTH AMERICA RIGHTS ONLY**
- Prince Harry attending the wheelchair basketball bronze medal final at the Vancouver Convention Centre during the 2025 Invictus Games Featuring: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex Where: Vancouver, Canada When: 13 Feb 2025 Credit: PA Images/INSTARimages **NORTH AMERICA RIGHTS ONLY**
- The Duke of Sussex presents gold medals to team France at the end of the wheelchair basketball final at the Vancouver Convention Centre during the 2025 Invictus Games in Vancouver Featuring: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex Where: Vancouver, Canada When: 13 Feb 2025 Credit: PA Images/INSTARimages **NORTH AMERICA RIGHTS ONLY**
- Swimming during the 2025 Invictus Games Featuring: Prince Harry Where: Vancouver, Canada When: 14 Feb 2025 Credit: PA Images/INSTARimages **NORTH AMERICA RIGHTS ONLY**
- Swimming during the 2025 Invictus Games Featuring: Prince Harry Where: Vancouver, Canada When: 14 Feb 2025 Credit: PA Images/INSTARimages **NORTH AMERICA RIGHTS ONLY**
- Volleyball at Vancouver Convention Centre (VCC), at the 2025 Invictus Games Featuring: Prince Harry Where: Vancouver, Canada When: 15 Feb 2025 Credit: PA Images/INSTARimages **NORTH AMERICA RIGHTS ONLY**
- The Duke of Sussex salutes during the sitting volleyball final at Vancouver Convention Centre (VCC), at the 2025 Invictus Games in Vancouver, Canada Featuring: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex Where: Vancouver, Canada When: 15 Feb 2025 Credit: PA Images/INSTARimages **NORTH AMERICA RIGHTS ONLY**
- The Duke of Sussex attending the 2025 Invictus Games in Vancouver, Canada Featuring: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex Where: Vancouver, Canada When: 15 Feb 2025 Credit: PA Images/INSTARimages **NORTH AMERICA RIGHTS ONLY**
- Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex at the Closing Ceremony of the 2025 Invictus Games at the Rogers Arena Featuring: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex Where: Vancouver, Canada When: 16 Feb 2025 Credit: Dutch Press Photo/Cover Images **NOT AVAILABLE FOR PUBLICATION IN THE NETHERLANDS OR FRANCE**
I wish Harry well with this hearing!!! Let’s hope that he gets the results that he wants but I suspect royal fingers are involved in him not reaching his goal!
Of course. Charles does not want Harry nd Meghan breezing in and out and stealing he spotlight from the RF during an engagement.
That’s the thing though, Charles is the petty one here. I think if he’d open up a trustworthy line of communication, H&M would happily work with him but to arrange stuff during his events. Instead, Charles goes out of his way to make sure he’s doing things on days when even I know months in advance Harry has something going on.
But the funny thing is that Harry and Meghan can still the attention without ever leaving the US. But they definitely don’t want them doing successful things in the Uk.
Oh, you can be SURE he’ll have high level protection during the games. If something happened to Harry THEN, it would solely be blamed on the RF. BUT… you can also be just as sure that that protection will NOT be extended to Meg and the kids. This will be a way of them shanking Harry: choose US and coming to IG ALONE, or stay home with your family together… it’s your choice, situation
It is really important that this is heard in court. If, God forbid, anything happened. This leaves a paper trail. I think that may be one reason why he is pursuing it all the way.
My thoughts exactly.. he wants there to be a public record paper trail if anything happens like it did to his mother.
So the case by case basis is asinine. It’s clear he and his family need security whenever they are in the uk. My question though is about the lead-up. Does he have to give two-weeks notice right now or longer than that, I can’t remember the exact time frame? And that’s assuming he gets approved for security. Bc I’m pretty sure he has applied in the past, giving ample time and still been denied. What I’m trying to say is while the leaking sucks and defeats the purpose, I’d imagine he has to give some lead-up time of notice just so they can get it all arranged right? Maybe if there was a point person who was trusted not to leak? Idk how it will shake out but wish the Sussex family all the safety in the world and especially within the uk.
I also think that the leaking can be tolerable for Harry, but like you said, they can reject the request. Just because he is asking for security doesn’t mean they are gonna approve of it. That is why it is case-by-case basis, even though he needs security specifically because he is the son of the King and all his life has been turned into public consumption because of his family. Him not working for the family firm doesn’t decrease the death threats and the risk of kidnapping.
Salman Rushdie has been getting security from government because of the death threats and I don’t think, the government even shares the cost of his protection, since his protection isn’t up for public discussion. Apparently, Harry and his family’s life is.
Case by case basis has never made any sense to me, the threat level is consistent. He isn’t a prince some days of the week and some he isn’t, he inherited this risk. Also, I wonder with recent disclosures that celebrities like Taylor Swift were getting police protection if that impacted or will impact the appeal and evidence presented.
The thing is he’s just asking to get intelligence information that will allow his own security team, which he pays to be able to assess threats appropriately, and is willing to pay for the extra met police overtime. It’s not like the royals are out there working so much that Meghan or Harry coming will do the perennial concern and ” overshadow” them. I don’t even think Meghan and Harry are interested in doing walkabouts and things like that. We probably wouldn’t know until day of half the time they are there if ever.
“Does he have to give two-weeks notice right now or longer than that, I can’t remember the exact time frame?”
28 days in advance. BUT, if KC3 says/said give Harry security protection, it could be done in short hours or days, such as last year when Harry flew into England to visit Charles (after announcing he had cancer).
So it’s purely the BRF wants to control Harry & wish something nefarious would happen to Meghan & the kids when they’re in UK.
Do any celebitches have a good understanding of how security works? What will it look like if Harry wins? What changes? Since he doesn’t live in the UK, how will he get security without advance notice? Will there be officers on standby/ on call? Will the level of protection be higher? Will it make sure it extends to Meg and the kids?
One thing he wants is for his privately hired security to be armed while in the U.K.. Currently they are not allowed firearms.
Good Luck to Harry! The decision to strip him and his family of proper security was clearly motivated by a malicious royal family and its staff and had no basis in established RAVEC procedures and criteria.
I don’t understand why he has to notify the Windsors of his travel plans if his trip doesn’t involve them. Racec and the Met police I understand. Did Taylor Swift have to notify the Windsors?
Who is Mr Justice Lane?
Andrew has Royal protection, it is debatable if it is Charles or the taxpayer paying. So the argument that police protection can’t be bought is a lie.
If Charles can pay for his brother, he can pay for his Son and his family as well
Harry is not in Britain for long periods of time, so the cost to his father, would be less than he pays for Andrew